Simplify Your Life
Is your life complex? Of course it is. All our lives have some level of complexity. But is your life too busy? Do you feel stressed everyday? Does your mind race when you lay down to sleep, wondering about all the stuff you have to worry about the next day? If you answered yes to these questions, you are part of the majority. In the age of technology and information, we are under constant bombardment by ads, tasks, to-dos among other things and it often seems like we never have enough time in a day. So, it seems worth asking the question: Is all this good for me? Stress, anxiety, fear, insomnia… Just a few of the negative outcomes that result from our constant grind, day after day.
But what if you could eliminate just a little bit of that? It may seem like a lot to consider, but there are many small steps we can take to slow down our lives and eliminate some of those stresses. Here are ten things you can do right now to slow down and simplify your life.
- Less screen time
- This is a big one. Set a rule for yourself to put the phone or tablet away an hour before bed. Give your brain a break from the constant stream of information.
- Go through your stuff. If your possessions don’t bring you joy or add value to your life, get rid of them.
- Take time to prepare meals
- It is so easy to order takeout. With so many food delivery platforms now on the rise, forgoing preparing our own meals is as easy as pressing buttons. Though convenient, this eliminates our emotional connection to our food. By taking the time to make a healthy meal for yourself, your meal will mean that much more to you.
- Wake up half an hour earlier and exercise. Whether it is light yoga or hitting the gym, starting your day with some exercise sets the tone for the rest of the day.
- Improve your diet
- Going back to preparing meals, improve your diet. You only get one body, and it is important to treat it well. Your body and mind will thank you in the long run for providing it with healthy foods.
- Make time for family and friends
- Even if it is just a quick coffee, make time for friends and family. Life isn’t all about work, it is also about spending time with people who are important to us.
- Create routine
- Wake up at the same time. Go to bed at the same time. Eat at the same time. Routine allows our bodies to go day to day without having to adjust to constant changes.
- Make time for “you time”
- Do you take time for you? Lots of us don’t, but it is important to take time for self care. Have a nice bubble bath. Take a nap. Soak your feet. Go get a massage. Do something for you. We often spend so much time doing stuff for others that we forget to pamper ourselves. So go pamper yourself.
- Read more
- Remember the first point, turn off the devices? Replace some of your screen time with books. Get lost in a story or educate yourself about something you want to know more about, even if it is just for 30 minutes a day.
- Slow down
- Drive the speed limit. Walk at a leisurely pace. Stop and smell some flowers. We are ALWAYS rushing. Rush to work. Rush home. Rush to make dinner (if you make dinner), rush to bed. Rinse. Repeat. Slow down the rush, your body and mind will thank you for it.
Achieving simplicity in our lives can seem complicated, but it doesn’t have to be. Taking small steps is the only way to start. Simplify your life now, and soon you may wonder why you never simplified earlier.